Paypal Here mobile card reader
Portable card readers are becoming increasingly popular for businesses in the UK and around the world. The PayPal Here reader has the added provenance of a well-recognised brand combined with the latest mobile technology which makes it a favourite for many businesses in the UK and across the world.
mPOS technology is becoming the standard and retailers are starting to move away from traditional terminals to ones with that extra mobility and flexibility.
What is PayPal Here?
Launched back in 2012, PayPal Here follows a similar line to many other mobile readers on the market at the moment. With all the connectivity and ease of use, you get the added advantage of PayPal’s complete POS service that works for almost any kind of business. Pay-as-you-go services are becoming increasingly important and PayPal currently serves nearly 200 million customers around the globe and is a recognised brand.
The combination of ways to carry out transactions with PayPal adds the power that many companies and startups are looking for. With PayPal Here, you link with a mobile device app and the customer either inserts or swipes their card to make payment. You’ll find all the functionality that other mobile payment solutions offer including credit and debit processing and quite a bit more
The initial cost of the reader is around £69 though with competition in the market, you’ll often find that price discounted. You don’t have to worry about monthly fees as there is simply a charge for each transaction. This is currently 2.75% though percentages may vary depending on the type of transaction and where you are located.
Who Does it Work for?
Because it accepts all major cards and supports contactless payments, as well as being connected to the rest of PayPal’s banking services, the reader is suitable for a wide range of businesses. Whether you operate a store or regularly go out on the road and need to process payments on the move, the reader PayPal Here works well. Payments are deposited into your account and can be withdrawn free of charge, often a lot quicker than other mobile payment services.
The Pros of PayPal Here
- It’s a simple to use device with great connectivity across all PayPal’s provision. With a compact design, it’s easy to carry around and use on the move.
- The cost of set up is relatively cheap and all you pay after getting the terminal is the transaction cost once a payment has been made.
- You can close your account at any time and stop using PayPal Here without any cost to your business.
- Your customers don’t need to have a PayPal account set up as it accepts a wide range of payment methods including all major credit and debit cards.
- While the reader doesn’t allow you to print out receipts, you can send them by text or email.
- The PayPal Here app allows you to create menus to help make the buying and selling process easier, depending on your business.
The Cons of the PayPal Here
- At just under £70 for the reader, it’s a little more expensive than some of its competitors but you are also getting the recognisable PayPal brand into the bargain.
- Battery life can be a bit of an issue, particularly if you are carrying out many transactions, and you can only monitor it on your phone or tablet, not the device itself.
- If you want to print out receipts for your customers, for example, in store, then you need to buy additional devices.
- The transaction fee of 2.75% is higher than with standard POS terminals but you do get a great deal of mobility for your money and no monthly service fees.
Overall, PayPal Here is an excellent choice for a wide range of businesses, particularly startups that want to keep their payment processing costs minimised or under control. Its link to a globally recognised brand also gives it a slight edge over other, perhaps cheaper, mobile card readers on the market.